‘8 hours work, 8 hours of leisure, 8 hours sleep’ is the most common catchphrase we hear from our grandparents. To live a healthier and happier life, there should be a balance among the sleep, diet, and other activities of sustenance.
Before knowing the ways to decent slumber, one must know, why a sound slumber is needed? To restore, rejuvenate, grow muscles, synthesize hormones, and repair tissues, the human body demands a sound sleep. “Sleep is a basic human need and is essential for good health, good quality of life and performing well during the day,” says World Health Organization.
The sleep deprivation leading to chronic insomnia can affect our physical and mental health adversely. It can have short as well as long term health impacts, including, hypertension, fatigue, sleeplessness, stress hormones, blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, weakened immune system, lack of concentration, and attention. A healthy lifestyle leads to a night of healthy sleep and vice-versa.
Following 5 tips can help one to get rid of unsound sleep:
- Introspection: The day sometimes is hectic, full of stress, anxiety, and exhaustion while disturbing the way to decent slumber. To get uninterrupted sleep, one may chant the words of gratefulness as it would reduce the stress and unnecessary negative thoughts. Introspecting you or self-observation is analyzing your internal thoughts and feelings to get rid of regrets and negatives brought by a day. One may find introspection and sleeplessness connected, but the consequences of the introspection would help you get a relaxed and de-stressed mind leading to undisturbed sleep.
- Switch off Blue lights: We very well know the screens of mobiles and laptops emit blue light that deteriorates the sleep quality, but we remain addicted to using electronic devices during bedtime. The sleep patterns may get disrupted due to the blockage of the sleep hormone called melatonin. The routine of staying late till night and using mobile phones or laptop screens may cause harmful diseases.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol: Stimulants such as alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, etc. may keep the human mind awake, though people assume them to help in getting a sound slumber. Any beverages containing such stimulants, drinks containing alcohol or tobacco should be consumed at least 4 to 5 hours before bedtime. Sometimes, alcohol immediately brings asleep, but a few hours later, one may get low-quality and interrupted sleep with numerous awakenings.
- Eat, but less: Some people might face difficulty in getting sleep while having a grumbling stomach, but according to some experts, one should avoid eating heavy meals immediately before sleep. If you want to consume a big meal, take it 2 to 3 hours before sleep and go for a walk later. Either ingest easily digestible or light snacks before bedtime.
- Relax body and mind: To get a sound slumber, one must try to relax the body and mind before bedtime. There may be different ways varying to individual choices to relax oneself. Some may prefer sleep Yoga, while others may practice meditation. There are numerous mobile applications or software available to relax the cells of the brain for a sound slumber. Those who prefer working out in the night, care must be taken to perform it two or three hours before bedtime. A hot shower or bath before sleeping relaxes the mental as well as the physical body.
Follow the above tips to get a sound slumber and live a healthy lifestyle. Stay healthier and happier.
Tap to read some tips for self-development.