Depression is like drowning but not being able to die. It’s like being afraid of your presence in a dark empty room. It is being blind and constantly reminded of how colorful the world is.
Introduction to Depression
Major depressive disorder, commonly known as depression is a mental and emotional illness. However, the fact that we are all well aware of this is rather depressing. A 2017 study shows that depression is the third major cause of disabilities and failure amongst people. It also proved that approximately 2% of the entire global population is suffering from this disorder. Somehow, the numbers only seem to be increasing and there are various factors in play.
Causes of Depression
There could be many factors that cause depression in an individual. Doctors usually categorize them as genetic, environmental, and psychological factors. As the name suggests, their meaning is self-explanatory.
- Genetic factors– It is believed that depression can be explained by genetic and biological reasoning. Moreover, genetic factors are the major influencers.
- Environmental factors– Whether workplace or school or public areas, your environment is an important factor in framing your mental condition. The way you are treated or groomed or the things you see around you are a deciding factor about how you feel.
- Psychological factors– Depression is majorly all about feelings. The way you feel or the way someone or something makes you feel is important. Often, someone’s bad behavior or a tragedy leaves an impact on us and depresses us. Being depressed about it causes trauma.
Symptoms of Depression
“Depression isn’t always tears and loneliness. Sometimes it’s also fake smiles and emptiness.”
There are different symptoms observed in a person according to their age. Kids stop interacting with their friends or going to play. They become uninterested in almost everything. Teens become extremely moody, irritated, and sensitive. Adults resign to silence and fake smiles.
However, some symptoms are common amongst most people irrespective of their age or gender. It is observed that symptoms of depression can be completely contradictory depending on the individual. People either stop talking and just say they needed or start talking too much even irrelevant stuff. They either don’t laugh much or laugh even unnecessarily. Moreover, they either avoid being alone or stay alone always. Hypersomnia or insomnia have also made it to the list. Eating too much or not eating at all is also a symptom of depression.
How to help your family out of depression
Family is our driving force. Those are people for whom we can cross any boundaries and risk anything and everything. No one ever wishes harm to their family. But imagine if a member of your family is suffering from depression. Even the thought is heartbreaking. You will try to do anything and everything to help them. But how can you help your family out of depression?
- Understand the symptoms– It is important that you first understand if your family member is suffering from depression. It is important to be observant as it is least likely that a depressed patient confronts you. Once you’re convinced that they are suffering from depression, try to understand their behavior or patterns.
- Communicate– An honest communication can get you to anything. Most people suffering from depression do not talk about themselves or their feelings. They are afraid that no one will understand them. Moreover, people will judge them. So, talk to them about everything and make them able to talk to you about everything as well.
- Be patient, accepting, and understanding– Understandably, you suffer when someone you love suffers from something. All you want is for them to be well and fine. But sometimes, their conditions sadden or annoy you. It is important that when you talk to them, you are calm and patient. Try to be in their shoes and understand their situation. Accept them and their behaviors and their thoughts and try to politely shame them positively.
- Change the environment– As discussed, the environment that you are in plays a very important role. If your family member is suffering from depression, manipulate their environment. Try to indulge them in their hobbies. Try to create moments apart from the regular. Do the things that are appreciated and enjoyed by the. That will change their emotional and mental state.
- Be caring– People often interpret depression as being sad all the time. But it is a lot more than that. Certain complications of depression are self-harm and suicide. Be caring and loving so that your family member understands what’s at stake.
“Depression is not just being a bit sad. It is feeling nothing. It’s not wanting to be alive anymore.” – J K Rowling
Depression is a serious disorder and people often don’t consider it seriously. It is really hard and challenging when someone you love and care about is suffering from it and the only way that you help them is by positive attitude and environment.