Flooding can cause tremendous damages to your house as well as your property. However, it is a matter of worry to every household owner. People face very stressful moments after flood strikes at anyone’s home. There are several risks that flood-affected households contain. Massive Rainfall, overflowing of the river, Climate change, Dams, or levees breaking, are the main reasons for the flood. According to FEMA, one of the most common and costly hazards in the USA is water damage from floods. Statistics say that in the year 2019, floods caused damage of approximately 3.75 billion U.S. dollars in the United States.
It can be very dangerous to enter your home after a flood. There is a list of things you need to look after post floods. Water damages cause a variety of health and safety risks.
- There can be many structural and electrical damages after a flood hits your home.
- All the appliances of your house, for example, the air conditioning system, refrigerator, heating, water heater, washing machine, may face risks of getting injured by flooding.
- The glass of your door and windows also get affected after a flood hits your home.
- Flood water brings sewage, mud, bacteria, and chemical toxins that affect your health as well.
- After a flood hits your house, mold can affect your property, furniture, and clothes.
- Standing water becomes the reason for disease and sanitary hazards.
- Along with financial losses, the lives of people come at risk.
Precautions to take after a flood hits your home
Moving back to your house after a flood hits it can be challenging in many ways. However, there are things you should take care of before you enter your house post-flood.
- Stay updated about the weather. Check weather radio, television, and radio stations until it is safe to return home.
- Talk to your insurance agent as soon as possible and make a list of all the damaged goods.
- Do not switch on electrical appliances before an electrician checks them.
- Avoid all electrical lines. Stay away from downed power lines.
- Contact with restoration service as soon as possible.
- There is a possibility that floodwater can damage the cooling and heating system of your house. So after the flood hits your home, consider having them checked by the HVAC specialist.
- Leave your wall open to dry after the contractor removes the drywall and insulation. This process takes up to two weeks.
- Testing of the air quality of your house is necessary after a flood hits your home.
- Make sure the water and food are safe to have. If your house has any food which got hit by the floodwater, avoid eating it.
- Wash your hands if you touch the floodwater. It contains bacteria that may lead to skin allergies.
Apart from these, the list of damages that flood does is long. Though it is a matter of stress, there are professional restoration companies that provide post-flood services. RD Marshall is one of them.
What does RD Marshall do?
RD Marshall is a skilled and experienced team of professionals who provided post-flood repair services to many householders. From removing the water, making the house ready to move in again, the service makes sure to take care of every detail of your home after the flood. The HVAC service that RD Marshall provides includes construction, installation, and servicing of heating and cooling.
Every year floodwater leaves its mark in ways. While it is necessary to leave your house during a flood, entering your home after a flood also becomes challenging. Post-flood damages are risky to your health. It damages your property as well as the floodwater contains many bacteria.
Moreover, it is necessary to take all the precautions. The first step towards the to do is to contact the post-flood restoration service. In this scenario, service companies like RD Marshall can be a huge relief to your post-flood stress. This company provides the best services to help you re-enter your house without any risk.