The emergence of social media is only two decades ago, and the extensive use of social media is only a few years old. Yet, social media has grown as a
The emergence of social media is only two decades ago, and the extensive use of social media is only a few years old. Yet, social media has grown as an integral part of our lives, and the pandemic has even stressed it to be essential in our daily lives. But, over the years, social media has been scrutinized. And, has been subjected to severe criticism regarding its addiction in the youth of our generation. Social media could not be neglected, as from brands to content creators, everyone has started using it as a tool of marketing.
The increasing amount of negative criticism that social media as a whole is a problem on both sides, the critiques, and the users, majorly who are young. The people on one side should open an eye to the positive side of social media and its effects on youngsters, and the young must utilize the medium wisely.
- Increases critical and vital thinking at a young age: Youngsters are subjected to a large amount of exposure. They get to meet a variety of people and varied personalities through the medium. And, they get to look into so many other things than what they learn from the textbooks. This provides the young minds a myriad of options to learn and grow.
- Exposure to the world: The idea of socializing being restricted to only stepping out of our homes has been changing. And, people at a very young age are exposed to a wider range of people from across nations. This helps in creating a powerful network from the early years.
- Sources and ways to develop social and creative skills: Social media is not the only medium to communicate with various domains of people. But, it provides a platform to showcase one’s talent, practice, and learn from other people interested in the same thing. An ecosystem of learners and teachers are created, giving room for all sorts of creativity and art.
- Breaks the shell giving confidence: There is no bigger teacher than learning from experience. Social media gives the boon of showcasing our art, or rather our talent, and provides an experience of how the world on a larger scale works. This provides the young generation, new confidence, and breaks the shell they were living in.
The above-mentioned points bring an argument to the table that social media is not bad, yet we cannot neglect the number of bad effects it has on the young. Thus, all the adverse effects that social media has is a reflection of how the consumers choose to use it, and it is the younger people to use the medium in ways that make a positive contribution to the system.
Role of the Young
- Strike a balance between entertainment and learning: Social media need not be the only source of entertainment or a source only for learning. Utilize the medium to give you a breath of fresh air, but also to learn new things you were otherwise not aware of.
- Be a safe contributor: The medium is extremely two-sided, and we need to be good and safer users of the medium. Here, by users, it also covers what one chooses to consume, what one chooses to put up, and what one chooses to report and call out. It is our job to make the medium a better place.
- Devote enough time, not extensive: Although, citing work, learning, and justifying the amount of screen time by owing it to work, is as condemnable as wasting time. Always, the screen time should be set and the time should be utilized wisely on other things as well.
- Make the presence count: Merely, being part of the platform and utilizing is not what makes a good consumer. It is rather important to give back to the medium by teaching others what you learned and make an ecosystem that is safe, informative, and effective.
Young minds are the future of our society and an asset to the country. Let us be watchful in utilizing our present years so that the benefit is reaped by our generation and the generations to come.
Read more here.