Video games are defined as electronic interactive games that mainly serve to entertain players. They allow players to access virtual environments, 2D or 3D in specific game-to-game rules or conditions. Although video game has been online for over 30 years. The advanced options today require players to keep a focus on the game. The statistics show that 64% of US adults and 70% of people under the age of 18 play video games on a regular basis. Due to the constant demands of video games, there is an increasing concern about the usage of them. Although, many scientists and psychologists argue that playing video games has many positive effects also.
Different aspects of playing Video Game
The various aspects that help in determining if a video game has a negative or positive influence over the player are:
Amount of Time Spent
The risks of obesity or negative physical or mental health are proportional to the time spend playing video games. Besides, excessive video gaming often reduces physical activity times, which can account for the connection between gaming and obesity. Movement games such as Dance-Dance Revolution or Nintendo Wii games may have the opposite effect.
Type of Game
Studies show not only that educational games can improve educational skills. But also that they can make a lasting impression on the mind of the player. Similarly, studies indicate that games with violent content enhance aggressive thinking, emotions, and attitudes, which can move into a real-life situation.
Structure of the Game
The structure of a video game on the screen helps to its effects. For example, a player must constantly scan the screen for small changes in some games. Effective scanning allows the player to quickly turn attention, enhance the ability to detect and react quickly. The games can also strengthen the ability of a gamer to obtain 3D information from 2 D depth indicators. And use it in other contexts. Because the virtual world interface requires players to be aware of orientation and points of reference, these games can also improve the ability to identify and mentally rotate.
Mechanics of Game
The mechanics of a game have to do with its structure. Console movements change what a player sees on the screen, affecting the way the player uses the controller. This feedback loop is consistent with hand-eye coordination. For instance, it may be more efficient to play drive gaming with a wheel.
Context of the Game
Teamwork games can improve players’ cooperation and coordination skills, but researchers in this area have done little or no. There may be other outcomes also with the change in the social context of a game. For example, playing violent games with a group of friends who promote aggressive action may lead to more violent behavior in other ways than playing one another in the same game. Conversely, providing players with pro-social motives to help their friends might lead to a reduction in the increase in aggressive behavior.
The response to a particular video game varies from player to player. It depends on how the video game’s content is displayed and interpreted by the player. Let us see what is the positive impact that video games bring while playing.
Benefits of Playing Video Game
- Problem Solving and Logic – When a child plays a game like Cut the Rope, he trains his brain to find creative ways of solving puzzles and other quick problems. 63 percent of people in a study say that playing games help them in problem-solving.
- Cooperation and teamwork with multiplayer games – Many multiplayer games like Team Fortress 2 involve working together with other players to win. These games encourage players to make their contribution to the team as much as possible. And a study shows that more than 70% of gamers play with a friend, making a virtual social platform of engagement.
- Fine motor and space skills, hand-eye coordination- Research also shows that people will learn the skills of iconic, spatial, and visual care of video games. There are studies with adults that show that video game experience improves surgical skills. A study from New York shows that doctors who play video games for at least three hours a week made some 37% fewer operative mistakes. Also, they carry out their task 27% faster than surgeons who do not play.
- Emotional Benefits – While playing simple games like “Angry Birds”, there is a boost in the players’ moods. They feel more relaxed. 79% of people who play say that gaming provides them relaxation.
- Increase interest in Technology – Video games can foster a focus on your child’s interest in technology and provide an opportunity for learning technological skills, like coding or programming.
- Gain resilience against failure- It is suggested to children build emotional resilience in their everyday lives by learning to cope with the ongoing failures in games.
- Quick thinking, making fast analysis and decisions – The study shows that playing video games helps the brain decide 25% more quickly. According to the study, video games can be used for training soldiers and surgeons.
There are various other benefits of playing video games. But these are usually overlooked because of their negative impact on the players. Some of them are:
Negative Impact of Video Game
- Exposure to Violence – Increased aggressive thoughts, feeling, and behavior and decreased prosocial help are more likely to occur in children who are involved with more violent video games. Four major countries conducted research in 2018 with around 17000 students. The studies show that children who play violent video games are more indulged in abusive behavior.
- Obesity – People who play excessive video games are lazier than people who do not.
- Worsen Mental Health – Depression and conduct problems are positively associated with the internal behavior of the players. Furthermore, the negative experiences of the player in video games can have a connection with some similar problems in real life. A study conducted at 12 different schools in Singapore, depicts that there is a relation between video games and attention deficit disorder.
- Risk of explicit content – Children can follow bad language and behavior from other people when they play online and can make themselves vulnerable to online dangers. Sexual predators and other bad players often come together as kids using video games and chat applications for multiplayer.
- Social Isolation – Excessive play on video games makes children socially isolated. They may spend less time in other activities, such as homework, reading, sports, and interacting with family and friends.
- Create Fantasy Life – Games can often confuse reality and fantasy. People might develop false expectations in life which will lead to distress emotionally.
Playing video games causes various changes in players, such as aggressiveness, cooperation, and negative or positive attention. But there may be ways of how you can manage the influence of video games. The player should check the ratings and reviews of the game before playing. They can also set time limits on playing video games. Notice the change in your behavior and act accordingly, whether to continue playing the game or not.