Owning a house means owning responsibilities. Responsibility to keep your home clean and safe for you and your family members to live. As an owner, you can have fears regarding the cleaning and repairs of the house. But when it comes to molds, the fear is increased. Since molds are not only difficult to detect but also difficult to get rid of. Do not worry. Detecting molds is an easy task if you know all the signs. Also, it becomes an easy task once you know where the mold is. Therefore, here are the signs to detect molds and remediation for them.
What are molds?
A mold is a form of fungus. They are the organisms that grow indoors as well as outdoors. They are an important part of the ecosystem being outdoors. But indoors, they can be pretty problematic. They produce spores, which ultimately spread by floating around in the air. There is no way to prevent spores. Also, there can be conditions where it cannot grow itself. The common types of household molds make their homes in basements, ceiling tiles, carpet, bathrooms, drywall, wallpaper, under washbasins, and plumbing pipes. Apart from these, Molds can also grow on a variety of different surfaces, like fabric, paper, wood, glass, and plastic. Furthermore, as they grow, they may digest the material they are growing on. Therefore, it is difficult to detect them.
Signs for Mold Detection
There are various signs for mold detection. All you have to do is identify those signs. Here are some signs for mold detections:
Condensation is a sign where a mold can grow. Since it is an indication of high humidity. Humid environments are breeding grounds for mold. Since moisture is essential for it to grow and thrive. So, if you notice condensation on your doors and windows, it is a sure sign of moisture in your home. And moisture will inevitably lead to it. Therefore, it is a good idea to have an inspection done to find and eradicate any mold that has grown due to the wet environment. Also, a good dehumidifier will allow you to set the desired humidity level in your home. With this, you can eliminate the dampness. Therefore, it will be wise for you to invest in a dehumidifier.
Your health is a clear indication of something wrong with your body or in the air you breathe. Therefore, your health is one of the signs of the presence of mold in your house. Mold sickness can be easily caused by mold exposure. But it can be severe in many cases. Moreover, if you are an asthma patient or have some kind of allergies, mold can easily enhance your symptoms. There can be a point when you feel sick. One way to test this theory is that you spend some time outside of your home. If your symptoms ease when you are away. There is a good chance of mold being in your home.
Water Leaks or Flooding
Have you ever experienced flooding or a water leak in your home? There is a high chance that there is mold growing where the water was. The most common place for a mold to grow is a wall near a leaky washbasin. So, mold can grow underneath floors and behind paint in your walls. If you find bulging or warped walls, the mold can be present. Also, check for bubbles and cracks in your paint or wallpaper. It can be a strong indication of mold under the surface. Furthermore, search for water stains or discoloration on your walls, floors, and ceilings. This could be another sign that mold is growing behind these areas.
You know when you smell something fishy. This smell or odor is one of the strongest indications of mold. You can tell by the musty, earthy odor. You may be able to smell mold in your home if your house is closed up for a few days and then reopened. Moreover, if you do not see a mold. But, if you think you smell it, an inspection is a great idea.
One of the signs is if you see a mold. A black one is easily detectable. You can identify it with the speed at which it grows. Moreover, the texture of the black is also very clear. It is splotchy, black, or brownish. So, if you see even a small patch of black mold, do not ignore it. The white molds are the most difficult to detect. They are like fluffy veins crawling out from a center spore. Other molds which are visible to the human eye are green, blue, and pink mold.
Remediation for molds
You can get rid of household mold yourself in many cases. All you will be needing are some products and you can get rid of one. You can remove it with a bleach solution of 8 ounces of bleach per 1 gallon of water or commercial products and even with soap and water. But before you begin the process, make sure to keep these points in mind. Since you are using bleach you must wear protective eyewear, nonporous gloves, and a face mask. Also, make sure the windows of the room you are working in are open.
To scrub off the mold, use a brush. Also, make sure you have taken out all of it. Paint or caulk the surface only when you are sure all of it is taken out. You may have to discard the porous materials, such as carpet or furniture. Or the best thing you can do is hire professional help. A professional will efficiently and easily take out that mold for you. Moreover, your time will be saved. Also, you will be assured that all of it is taken out.
The bottom line here is that mold does not always cause health problems. But that does not mean that it is something you ignore. It should be removed since it damages your house. Also, for people who have some kind of allergies or are asthma patients, it can be dangerous. Therefore, get rid of these molds through remediation. If you are not able to do so then hire professional help.