Oh! I know this week is all about adorable gestures, hopeless romantics, and lots and lots of chocolates, but it also is about health and safety measurements. With World Pulses Day today, we are here to remind you how important it is to maintain your body. Additionally, We also celebrate home warranty day to remind us how important it is to protect the vital appliances and components of our homes. Let us learn about these observances of February 10, 2021.
World pulses day
The evidence of pulses comes from 11,000 years ago. Thus we know pulses are a part of the human diet for centuries. Yet their nutritional significance often is not appreciated. They are edible seeds that come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors.
Did you know this about the pulses?
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nation recognizes 11 types of pulses: dry beans, dry broad beans, dry peas, chickpeas, cowpeas, pigeon peas, lentils, Bambara beans, vetches, lupins, and pulses nes.
- Low in fat and contain no cholesterol
- Low in sodium
- A plant-based protein
- A good source of iron
- High in potassium
- Naturally gluten-free.
- They also fix their own nitrogen into the soil, which improves soil health!
- Have a long shelf-life!
- Have a small water footprint.
History of this day:
Since 2019, Every year February 10, we celebrate world pulses day. The seventy-third session of the United Nations General Assembly on December 20, 2018, designated this celebration. The date aims to bring attention to activities and information connected to the pulse sector worldwide. The biggest pulses-producing countries India, Australia, Canada, China, USA, Brazil, Pakistan, Russia, Turkey, Ethiopia, France, Argentina, Myanmar, and Nigeria celebrate World Pulses Day with great warmth.
Pulses can help us achieve one of the 17 sustainable development goals. Pulses are not only packed with nutrients but they help combat climate change, increase biodiversity and so much more. Therefore, “Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future” is the main theme for this international celebration.
How to celebrate it?
- We can indulge and motivate others to grow Pulses at home.
- Make a delicious dish from across the world to try out a different side of the regular pulses.
- Take this opportunity to learn about various pulses, their origin, their benefit, and the variety of recipes.
- Have a trip to the local market and learn what pulses origin from your locality.
House warranty day
A home warranty is also otherwise known as a Home protection plan. It is basically an annual service contract covering appliances of the home for repair and replacements due to wear and aging. So, just like the homeowner insurance covers the property loss, a home warranty covers the systems and appliances we use at our homes. We celebrate Home warranty day on February 10 every year, to learn and educate about this plan.
There are primarily three types of home warranty coverage: systems plans, appliance plans, and combination plans.
- System plans include Plumbing, electrical work, etc.
- Appliance plans include refrigerator, stove, built-in microwave, clothes washer
- Combination plans: Customized plans for your home to pick and choose the appliances that you want to protect.
History and significance of this day:
In 2016, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty created National Home Warranty Day to remind homeowners annually about the ways to protect each and every valuable component of their home.
Young – adults of today are mostly unaware that this can prevent you from paying expensive costs on repairs and replacements to major home systems and appliances. People don’t learn about this insurance until some disasters happen.
How to celebrate this day:
- If you are a realtor, you should offer a special discount on Home Owner’s Insurance (if possible) when selling houses.
- Educating. Explain to consumers why Home Owner’s Insurance is crucial.
- Learn the benefits of a home warranty and how you could apply for one.