Since we all know that fitness is an approach to train your body. In the same way, meditation is an approach to train your mind.
In meditation, people learn to live a stress-less, calm, and healthy life. Meditation mainly follows four elements that could make one’s life free from anxiety and problems. These elements include a peaceful location, a comfortable and specific posture, an open attitude, and a focus of attention. All these can lead to a better lifestyle.
What is Meditation?
Meditation is a set of techniques that initiates a heightened state of awareness and focused attention. It is a mental exercise that a person usually practices to get relaxed, focused, and aware. There are three modes in which meditation is practiced, that are: concentration, observation, and awareness. Through it is an ancient practice, but it is still practiced in cultures throughout the world. It creates inner harmony and calm.
Concentration meditation involves the mind focusing on a single point. This could be practiced through feeling the breath, repeating a word or mantra, listening to a piece of peaceful music, or staring at one thing.
This practice encourages the person to observe the wandering thoughts that drift through the mind. It does not ask to get involved with that thought but to simply be aware of each mental note that arises.
Since meditation is not a cure, you can get some space in your life through this practice. You can bring patience, kindness, and a comfortable lifestyle by meditation. When we meditate, we bring long-lasting benefits to our lives. Relaxation is not the ultimate goal of meditation. Indeed, the benefits to meditate include lowering your stress, anxiety, and brain chatter, improving your focus, blood circulation and connect better, and understanding your pain. Moreover, it includes lowering the blood pressure, initiating good quality sleep, and more feeling of well-being.
It is truly very difficult for a beginner to sit idle for hours, or having an empty mind. In general, the best way to meditate for beginners is to concentrate on the breathing process. Some basics for beginners:
- Make yourself comfortable and organize yourself to sit still for a few minutes.
- Close your eyes to keep yourself away from any distractions.
- Next, focus on your breath. Try to have your attention on your inhale and exhale procedure.
- Take a deep breath and exhale it slowly, thus follow it for about two minutes.
Beginner’s regime to Meditate
Here is a direct guide for beginners to start meditation. First, you find a calm place and sit down comfortably. Then close your eyes, and simply breathe naturally. At last, concentrate on your breath, and the movements of the body while inhaling and exhaling. Concentrate on your breath completely without controlling its intensity. Return your mind to the breath, if it wanders.
Simple steps to practice meditation
Meditation is not hard as many people think. Through following the below-given steps, you can simply practice meditation:
- Find a quiet, calm, and comfortable place to sit.
- Set a time limit to practice. For a beginner, five to ten minutes are appropriate.
- You can sit in any comfortable position, just make sure that you are stable and in a position you can stay in for some moment.
- Follow the sensation of your breath as you inhale as you exhale. Feel the breath.
- Whenever your attention leaves the breath, make sure that you simply return your focus on your breath.
- Do not obsess over the content of your thoughts you are lost in. Just come back and focus on your breathing.
- After your time limit, close the practice of meditation for the day gently. Take a moment and notice how your body and mind feel.
Meditation is not that simple that is described, but also challenging. The key to making it worthwhile and powerful is that you commit to practicing it every day. While sitting down to meditate, your mind should say that you believe in change, and you care for yourself. One can practice meditation at any place, and at any time. Just the thing needed is a comfortable place.
Tips to Meditate
Some tips that would help beginners to practice meditation:
- Beginners may begin meditation for a few minutes, then try extending the time conditionally.
- Just try to leave the thoughts that wander in your mind randomly. Though try to focus on your breath or anything you follow to meditate.
- Close your eyes for better concentration, or to keep yourself away from distractions.
- Choose a place where you feel comfortable, relaxed, and free from mental distractions.
- Try to follow the same time and same place in the beginning days, for consistency.
- Sit in a position that is comfortable and relaxing for you.
- Wear clothes in which you feel comfortable and relaxed. Try to avoid tight clothes that restrict you to breathe properly, and wear loose clothes.
Daily meditation can bring a lot of benefits to you. The benefits may relate to mental as well as physical health. By practicing meditation on daily basis, one can enhance his/her feelings of decision-making, concentration, and lowering the feeling of stress and fear. Additionally, one can experience a sense of calm, focus, and clarity in his life.
For more such health-related articles, click here.