Winter weather is unforeseeable or unpredictable. It is important to prepare for the winter season because you never know what kind of winter weather conditions you have to deal with. The last winter was mild and there is nothing more than a few snow flurries. But, it does not mean that this winter will not produce a record-breaking snowstorm.
Winter storm brings large amounts of snow, cold temperatures, high speed moving winds, freezing rain and power failures. It is incredibly dangerous as the roads and walkways are fully covered with ice and the trees were drown in between the roads. Public transportation affects badly. Schools and so many other facilities are close. The blizzard also causes power outages that can last for several days which affect the people most. The storm also affects health issues, and due to roads covered with a large amount of snow, the probability of car accidents increases. Winter storm creates many problems for the people so it is important to keep yourself, your family and also your home safe. Try to prepare yourself before poor condition arrives.
Here are some tips that will help you to keep your home fortified before that violent storm hits, so you will have peace of mind that your house is ready to bear that brutal storm:
- Store your food pantry: It is important to stay inside your home during a winter storm, so make a list for your kitchen food pantry items and store your food items because at the time of winter storm you cannot go outside to buy them. If you have pets, buy and store food for them also.
- Buy bottled water: We all know water is very important for our living. If your pipes freeze due to winter and you are not able to open your tap, then you will have bottled water. You can use it for your drinking and various household works.
- Have a Roof Inspection: Heavy snowfall and winter storms can damage your roof. Try to have a roof inspection by your technician. They will look for damaged shingles, loose nails, and common necessary repairs. Do not try to scale your roof by yourself as it can be dangerous, it will better to call someone from the company.
- Check your pipes: Safeguard your pipes from hazards of a winter storm, especially those in your basement. In low temperatures, water expands and it can cause pipes to burst. This can be the greatest damage from the winter storm.
- Make an emergency kit: During a winter storm, make sure you have easy access to everything you required. It is important to make an emergency kit because it will help you during winter storms. Keep things such as candles, matchsticks, fire extinguishers, extra batteries, a torch, a whistle, or any signal for help any many other things as per your need.
- Make a prescription and buy some hygiene items: Always make a prescription and buy some medicines more as per your in need in your stock. During winter storms you will not able to go outside. Buy them from a store as the roads were full of snow. Buy some hygienic items as per your use such as toilet paper, toothpaste, floor cleaner, baby diapers, etc.
- Prepare for a power blackout: Charge your cell phones and power banks. Make sure that you have some portable battery backup. It will help you in communicating with your family and after a suitable battery backup, you can do your household works easily.
- Seal your windows and doors: Seal your windows and doors with a suitable insulation kit. It will help in keeping your home warm inside as it will not allowing cold air in and warm air out.
- Stay informed: Keep yourself informed with the help of radios or news channels. It will help you in preparing yourself for a winter storm.
- Be careful: Be careful and do not panic in any situation. Stay in your home do not go outside until it is an emergency.
Pherian Texas crew respond to natural disasters. During winter storms stay inside your home and do not go outside until it is an emergency. Prepare yourself and your home to deal with a brutal winter storm. If you do not experience a heavy snowstorm this season, these tips will help you in protecting from cold weather. Also, some of these activities will make your home safer all year.