In the past few years, there is a rise in the popularity of veganism. As the majority of people know, veganism is a form of a vegetarian diet. It eliminates all animal-derived ingredients, including meat, eggs, dairy products, and other related ingredients. But, this is only half of what veganism is all about.
The Vegan Society defines veganism as an ideology and a way of life that aims to eliminate all types of animal abuse and cruelty, as far as is possible and feasible, for food, clothing, or any other purpose. And, as a result, also encourages the production and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans, and the environment.
Therefore, it is not ideal to limit veganism to just a diet. Adapting veganism in your life is much more than just being conscious of your food. It is about cutting all the things that involve animal cruelty.
Veganism is a lifestyle. Here is how:
- Animal Products are used in cosmetics including makeup, shampoo, and even soaps. With the true definition of veganism, vegans should only use products that are animal-free. Such products have ‘V’ as a symbol on their packaging that denotes Vegan.
- Vegans do not wear clothes made out of animal products like wool or leather. Moreover, accessories that comprise exotic materials such as pearl are not for vegans. They dedicate their life trying to cause as little harm as possible to animals.
- And of course, the food is important. Anything that includes animal or animal by-products is a strict no.
It includes milk and milk-based products such as cheese. The diet of vegans mostly comprises plant-based food.
- Veganism also believes that any harm to animals should have a ban on them. It includes testing of medicines to know if it is safe for humans.
- The exploitation of animals in any manner is also condemned by vegans. Veganism believes that animals should have a life free from duty or obligation to humans. This also means not using animals for entertainment purposes. For instance – in a zoo or aquariums, or organizing competitions like racing or a fight.
Why should we choose to become Vegan?
For different people, choosing a vegan lifestyle must have a variety of reasons behind it. For some, it can be for the health benefits it derives, or as an environmental cause, or maybe even just standing up against animal suffering and abuse. Let us look at the various reasons why Veganism has much more to contribute to our life than just a diet.
While many organizations promote veganism as a lifestyle including PETA and The Vegan Society. People around the world have also started shifting towards a plant-based diet in their meals. Besides the benefits mentioned above, veganism can also help to end the major problem of hunger in the world. With the reduction in the production of animal products, the food produced through farming can significantly increase the amount of production. The large number of resources used to produce beef can simply produce food for a large number of masses.
From this article, we have understood that veganism has a much greater significance than we could have imagined. Hence it is justified to say that ‘Veganism is not just a diet, but a way of life.’